Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


20 January 2018

Latics extend lead at the top of Sky Bet League One after 3-1 win at Plymouth Argyle.

  • Report: Plymouth Argyle 1 – 3 Wigan Athletic
  • Goals from Will Grigg, Gavin Massey and Dan Burn secure a sixth consecutive league away win for Paul Cook’s side
  • Latics now five points ahead of both Blackburn Rovers and Shrewsbury Town.

Wigan Athletic’s unbeaten run in all competitions extended to 14 matches as Paul Cook’s side came from behind to win 3-1 at Plymouth Argyle on Saturday afternoon.

Graham Carey put Argyle ahead from the penalty spot but Latics responded with goals from Will Grigg, Gavin Massey and Dan Burn securing a sixth consecutive away league victory.

Latics remained unchanged from their last league outing against Peterborough United, with Cook resisting the temptation to include a number of Wednesday night’s heroes in the Emirates FA Cup win over AFC Bournemouth.

On six minutes Latics were handed a glorious chance as a loose pass across goal from the Plymouth backline presented Grigg with a great chance, but he hesitated against Remi Matthews, who was able to recover soon after.

The windy conditions didn’t allow Latics to get into their flow too comfortably and they had to battle through a period of Argyle pressure with long balls launched towards Ryan Taylor.

Chey Dunkley headed off target from a wonderful Max Power delivery after Nick Powell was fouled, as Latics searched for a first-half opener.

Soon after and Latics were behind, though, as Dunkley fouled Carey in the penalty area and Argyle’s number ten picked himself up to slot home the resulting penalty, bringing to an end the chance of Cook’s side equalling John Filan’s consecutive league clean sheets record.

Latics took just two minutes to level, though, as a wonderful delivery from Nick Powell with the outside of his right boot was glanced home by Grigg, who got across his man to finish and celebrate in front of the travelling Latics supporters.

Powell almost turned goal-scorer five minutes before the break, striking well first time from a Nathan Byrne delivery only for Matthews to save.

Massey put Latics in front in first-half stoppage time, though, as Powell won possession before finding Power, who then travelled with the ball before releasing Massey, who finished calmly first time in the centre of the penalty area.

Early in the second-half, a Carey free-kick was well saved by Walton before Gary Sawyer almost added a third for Latics, lobbing his own goalkeeper from Walton’s long ball, only to see the ball fortunately bounce onto the top of his own net.

Plymouth looked to get a leveller and went closest through Antoni Sarcevic, who broke through and fired over when one-on-one with Christian Walton.

Latics made sure of the points ten minutes from time, though, Burn heading home via a deflection from a Power corner to send the travelling supporters home with a well-earned three points.

Plymouth Argyle: Matthews; Sawyer, Vyner, Bradley, Ness (Church 78); Threlkeld, Sarcevic, Fox; Carey, Lameiras (Ainsworth 70), Taylor (Grant 86)
Subs: Cooper, Miller, Songo'o, Taylor-Sinclair.

Wigan Athletic: Walton; Byrne, Dunkley, Burn, James; Morsy, Power; Jacobs, Powell (Bruce 78), Massey (Colclough 83); Grigg (Vaughan 45)
Subs: Jones, Elder, Perkins, Roberts.

Advertisement block