Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


18 March 2018

Reaction from the DW Stadium as Latics are beaten in the last eight of the Emirates FA Cu

  • Match Report: Wigan Athletic 0-2 Southampton
  • Latics defeated by the Saints in the Emirates FA Cup.
  • Paul Cook's side next in action against Walsall on Wednesday.


Hojbjerg  62
Cedric 90+1

Latics' love-affair with the Emirates FA Cup came to an end, at least for this year, at the hands of Southampton at the DW Stadium, as Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg and Cedric Soares earned the Saints a 2-0 victory, despite a magnificent display from Paul Cook's side.

Having eliminated three Premier League side in this year's competition, including champions-elect Manchester City, Latics arrived with confidence and looked in control for large periods of the game, but alas, it was one match too far as Mark Hughes' side won their spot in the semi-final at Wembley Stadium.

Latics made two changes to the side that beat Bradford City on Wednesday in Sky Bet League One, with Gary Roberts and Will Grigg starting instead of Nick Powell, who picked up a knock midweek, and James Vaughan who was cup-tied.

The visitors went ahead just after the hour when Danish international Hojbjerg bundled Dusan Tadic’s corner home inside a crowded box.   

Manolo Gabbiadini was later denied by Christian Walton from the penalty spot after the Italian was brought down in the area by Dan Burn.

Cedric extended the visitors’ advantage late in the game when he broke forward on the counter attack to slot the ball past Walton and into the bottom corner.

Backed by a vociferous home support, Latics started the game well in windy conditions, with Gavin Massey firing over on the half volley from the edge of the box after five minutes.

Guido Carrillo later had an opportunity for the Saints but was denied by Walton, while Latics responded by forcing a succession of corners, of which the visitors dealt with.

Roberts, celebrating his 34th birthday, then went close to opening the scoring but his effort inside the area was deflected wide by his marker.

Latics were enjoying much of the play, and Max Power tested Alex McCarthy direct from a corner, while Grigg twice went close before the break.

At the start of the second half, Michael Jacobs curled a shot just over before Massey burst forward only to drag a low strike narrowly off target.

In reply, Sofiane Boufal’s free kick landed on the roof of the net, while Walton was later called upon to pull off a world class save to keep out Manolo Gabbiadini from eight yards.

The Saints then took the lead just past the hour when Hojbjerg met Tadic’s corner to bundle home inside the box.

Latics were indebted to Walton on 73 minutes when he kept Gabbiadini’s penalty out with another unbelievable stop, after the striker had been fouled in the area by Burn.

Cook’s side battled until the end but were caught on the counter in stoppage time as Cedric was played in on goal and slotted past Walton into the bottom right corner.

Latics: Walton; Byrne (Hunt 80) Elder, Dunkley, Burn; Morsy (Capt), Power; Massey (Powell 65), Roberts (Colclough 65), Jacobs, Grigg.

Subs: Jones, Perkins, Bruce, Fulton.

Southampton: McCarthy; Cedric, Stephens, Hoedt, Carrillo (Long 81), Tadic, Lemina, Boufal (Redmond 65), Gabbiadini (Romeu 87), Bertrand (Capt), Hojbjerg

Subs: Forster, Yoshida, Ward-Prowse, Sims

Advertisement block