Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


4 March 2018

Latics come from two behind to earn point at Blackburn Rovers on Sunday afternoon.

  • Report: Blackburn Rovers 2 – 2 Wigan Athletic
  • Michael Jacobs and Max Power goals in the second-half earn Paul Cook’s side a point.
  • Latics had gone two down in the first-half to Adam Armstrong and Elliott Bennett goals

Wigan Athletic produced a superb second-half comeback to earn a valuable Sky Bet League One point against Blackburn Rovers on Sunday afternoon.

Goals from Adam Armstrong and Elliott Bennett gave Tony Mowbray’s Rovers a first-half lead but a valiant comeback from Paul Cook’s side saw Michael Jacobs and Max Power score to earn a point which keeps Latics on track to gain automatic promotion.

Latics reverted to their regular starting XI, having changed in numbers for the win over Rochdale last time out. Captain Sam Morsy returned after completing his two-match suspension and Nathan Byrne and Nick Powell were both declared fit to start after recent injuries.

Cook’s side started on the front foot and created the first chance of the game as Will Grigg got in behind from a Jacobs cross-field pass but couldn’t quite catch the ball clean on the volley to test David Raya.

Despite a positive opening five minutes, Latics found themselves behind when Blackburn broke on the counter and Bradley Dack fed Armstrong, who finished clinically from 18 yards.

Latics got back into their rhythm quickly and Gavin Massey had a chance to equalise but he couldn’t get any conviction on his effort and rolled the ball wide of Raya’s right-hand post.

The failure to get an immediate response was punished further midway through the first-half as Bennett broke on the left side on the overlap and finished neatly with a curled effort beyond Christian Walton.

Again the end-to-end and feisty nature of the game presented Latics with chances, Powell trying an acrobatic over-head kick from ten yards which was unfortunately was straight at Raya, a yard either side and the Spaniard wouldn’t have had time to react.

Walton kept the game alive going in at the break as he tipped over a Corry Evans volley on the edge which would have surely put the game to bed before the half-time whistle.

After a nervy start to the second-half, Latics got a goal back just after the hour mark, substitute James Vaughan won a great header from Powell’s diagonal ball and Jacobs fired the knockdown home.

Ten minutes later and Latics got their leveller as a foul on the left on Callum Elder resulted in a free-kick on the angle which Power fizzed towards goal at pace beyond all outfield players and passed Raya at his near post.

The closing stages were lacking in clear-cut opportunities for a winner but Chey Dunkley and Vaughan both had efforts, Vaughan a constant nuisance for Rovers after his introduction.

Blackburn Rovers: Raya; Nyambe, Williams, Smallwood, Graham (Nuttall 62), Mulgrew (Capt), Lenihan, Dack, Armstrong (Payne 82), Evans (Antonsson 77), Bennett
Subs: Leutwiler, Bell, Downing, Conway.

Wigan Athletic: Walton; Byrne (Vaughan 56), Dunkley, Burn, Elder; Morsy (Capt), Power, Massey (Walker 59), Powell (Perkins 82), Jacobs; Grigg.
Subs: Jones, Bruce, Roberts, Colclough.

Advertisement block