Learn more about our first summer addition, Kal Naismith, who arrives at Latics from Portsmouth FC.
- Get to know Wigan Athletic’s latest signing Kal Naismith.
- Learn more about Naismith’s career from his time at Rangers, Accrington Stanley and Portsmouth.
- Former Scotland youth international joins Latics on a three-year-deal.
1. Born in Glasgow in 1992, Kal Naismith came through the youth ranks at Rangers FC, but made his first team debut on loan at Cowdenbeath in a 3-2 victory over East Fife in September 2011.
2. After nine appearances and two goals for the Blue Brazil, Naismith joined Partick Thistle on loan in Scottish Division One, making his debut as a team mate of former Latics defender Aaron Taylor-Sinclair in a 1-0 defeat to Hamilton Academical, in which he came up against then on loan Latics midfielder Danny Redmond.
3. Naismith made his Rangers debut in July 2012, coming on as a substitute in a 2-1 Scottish League Cup victory against Brechin City, before making his league debit a month later in Scottish Division Three against Berwick Rangers.
4. A team mate of former Latics favourite Lee McCulloch, Naismith featured 17 times in Rangers’ 2012/13 Division Three title-winning season, scoring one goal in a 6-2 away victory at Stirling Albion and once in a 3-0 Scottish Cup victory at home to Elgin City.
5. Naismith joined Accrington Stanley for the 2013/14 season, debuting in a 2-2 draw at home against his future club Portsmouth on 10 August, a game which saw former Latics striker David Connolly on the scoresheet for Pompey.
6. A team mate of former Latics midfielder Luke Joyce during his time with Stanley, Naismith netted 10 times in 38 appearances in his first season in Sky Bet League Two, including a number of crucial match-winners, earning his side 13 points in total from his goals.
7. More crucial goals followed in 2014/15, with Naismith netting an 82nd minute winner in a 3-2 victory over Tranmere Rovers, and the only goal in a 1-0 victory against Plymouth Argyle.
8. Latics boss Paul Cook signed Naismith for Portsmouth in May 2015, handing him his debut in the EFL Cup against Exeter City. The versatile midfielder scored three times in 26 appearances during his first season at Fratton Park.
9. Naismith scored 13 times during Portsmouth’s 2016/17 League Two title-winning campaign, including winners against Grimsby Town, Newport County home and away, and Cambridge United. He also scored twice in Pompey’s title-clinching 6-1 thrashing of Cheltenham Town on the final day of the season.
10. The 26-year-old featured 31 times in League One in 2017/18, scored the winning goal in a 1-0 triumph over Plymouth Argyle and even played as a makeshift goalkeeper in a 2-2 draw with Doncaster Rovers in February following an injury to Portsmouth’s stopper.