Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


15 September 2018

Latics downed by Neal Maupay double as return to action ends in 2-0 defeat at Brentford’s Griffin Park.

  • Match Report: Brentford 2 – 0 Wigan Athletic
  • Neal Maupay double earns the Bees all three points
  • Captain Samy Morsy was sent off for Latics in the second-half

Maupay 23,62


Attendance: 9,951 (682 away)

Latics suffered defeat on their return to Sky Bet Championship action as a Neal Maupay double either side of half-time earned Dean Smith’s side all three points.

Paul Cook’s side, who lost captain Samy Morsy to a straight red card in the second-half, had chances in both halves but didn’t create as many openings as their hosts, who denied on a number of occasions by fine Christian Walton saves and brave blocks from Chey Dunkley and Cedric Kipre.

James Vaughan, who scored from the bench in the win over Rotherham United prior to the international break, started in place of Will Grigg, who was rested after featuring twice for Northern Ireland in the international break in the only change from our last outing.

From the outset, the hosts were the dominant side and created a chance within 30 seconds but Walton was on hand to deny Maupay before he produced another save from Ollie Watkins just three minutes later.

On a dry surface, a short Reece James back-pass was intercepted by Maupay but he was superbly denied by Walton for a second time after just nine minutes.

After spending the early stages on the back foot, Latics edged into the game and Dan Bentley had to be on hand to tip over a Nick Powell drive from 25 yards before Powell was the creator two minutes later, teeing up Vaughan in the box, though he fired off target.

The opener came after just 23 minutes after more good football from the hosts ended up with Maupay tapping home at close range from a cut-back – Walton, on this occasion, left with no chance.

Latics had an immediate chance to reply as Powell fired over from a 25-yard free-kick but up to half-time the Bees then took the ascendency once more and forced Walton into further saves.

Maupay should have got his second on 58 minutes as he found himself in behind Latics’ defence but Walton’s outstretched leg further denied the striker.

Two minutes later and Latics’ task was made harder as Morsy was dismissed by referee Darren England for a late challenge on Yoann Barbet in midfield.

Just a further two minutes passed before the points were all but sealed for the hosts as Maupay fired home at close range following pinball in the area from a ball into the box.

Late chances fell to Lee Evans and substitute Joe Garner but Latics were, in the end, beaten comfortably and will now re-focus ahead of a home double header with Hull City and Bristol City.

Brentford: Bentley, MacLeod, Mepham (Jeanvier 73), Maupay (Canos 70), McEachran, Watkins, Sawyers, Benrahma (Judge 72), Dalsgaard, Konsa, Barbet.
Subs: Daniels, Yennaris, Mokotjo, Clarke.

Wigan Athletic: Walton; James, Dunkley, Kipre, Robinson; Morsy (Capt), Evans; Connolly, Powell (Garner 67), Windass (McManaman 79); Vaughan (Gibson 62)
Subs: Jones, Byrne, Grigg, Jacobs.

Hull City H

Advertisement block