Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


18 September 2018

Samy Morsy and Josh Windass goals earn Latics an important Sky Bet Championship win over Hull City at the DW Stadium.

  • Match Report: Wigan Athletic 2 – 1 Hull City
  • Samy Morsy and Josh Windass goals in the first-half secure Latics win over Hull City
  • Jarrod Bowen scored for the Tigers, who drop to 18th. Latics up to 7th in the table.

Morsy 21
Windass 37

Bowen 42

Attendance: 8,848 (418 away)

Latics got back to winning ways in the Sky Bet Championship as goals from Samy Morsy and Josh Windass in the first-half were enough to beat Hull City at the DW Stadium on Tuesday night.

Jarrod Bowen’s goal just before half-time set up a tense second-half for Paul Cook’s side but they held firm and perhaps should have extended their lead.

Cook made two changes from Saturday’s defeat to Brentford, with Will Grigg and Michael Jacobs returning to the starting XI in place of James Vaughan and Callum Connolly, who made way to the bench. Callum McManaman was a late withdrawal from the squad due to injury, alas Owen Evans was Latics’ substitute goalkeeper as an academy graduate in the squad.

The visitors actually started the better of the two sides; former Latics Nouha Dicko robbed Cedric Kipre of possession and had a chance to open the scoring only to be denied by a vital interception from Chey Dunkley.

Moments later, Lee Evans was caught in possession by Kevin Stewart and Dicko broke again, but this time he fired over.

From then on, Latics got a strong grip on the game and Will Grigg was agonizingly close to diverting a superb Reece James cross home before captain Morsy got Latics’ opener.

The Egyptian – fresh off seeing his red card at Griffin Park on Saturday overturned – collected the ball in midfield before driving home from 25 yards, leaving David Marshall in the Hull goal with no chance.

Three minutes had passed before Jacobs almost doubled the advantage as he cut in from the left and curled a shot from the edge of the area only to see Marshall tip his effort around the post.

The second did come eight minutes before the break, though as Evans curled an inviting cross to the back post for Windass to notch his first goal for Latics against his Dad Dean’s former club.

Latics were in for an uncomfortable second half, though, as Bowen got in between Latics’ defence and Christian Walton and tucked home on the stroke of half-time.

That goal created a nervy start to the second half for Cook’s side and Dicko forced Walton into a save on the hour mark as he hit a powerful volley towards goal from a Chris Martin knock down.

Latics then settled and had opportunities for a third as Windass fired wide from the rebound after Powell had a left foot shot saved inside the area.

Jacobs was then denied by Marshall from a header before Dunkley blocked from Fraizer Campbell at the other end as the game began to open up.

Antonee Robinson and Jacobs both forced Marshall into further saves in the closing stages but in the end Latics held on and secured another DW Stadium victory and moved onto 13 points from their opening eight games.

Wigan Athletic: Walton; James, Dunkley, Kipre, Robinson; Morsy (Capt), Evans; Windass (Naismith 82), Powell (Vaughan 89) Jacobs; Grigg (Gibson 65).
Subs: Evans, Byrne, Connolly, Garner.

Hull City: Marshall; Lichaj, Elphick, de Wijs; Kingsley; Stewart (Grosicki 74), Henriksen (Capt), Bowen, Irvine; Dicko (Campbell 61), Martin (Evandro 85)
Subs: Long, Burke, Kane, Keane.

Bristol City H

Advertisement block