Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


9 February 2019

Josh Windass strike earns Latics a valuable away point at Rotherham United.

  • Match Report: Rotherham United 1 – 1 Wigan Athletic
  • Josh Windass’ third goal in three games earns Latics a point at the AESSEAL New York Stadium
  • Clark Robertson had headed Rotherham United in front but Latics remain seven points above the Sky Bet Championship relegation zone

Robertson 28

Windass 32

Attendance: 9,611 (1,243 away)

Josh Windass scored for the third consecutive game to earn Latics a valuable point at Rotherham United at the AESSEAL New York Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Clark Robertson had headed the Millers in front but Latics responded quickly and displayed real bottle to defend a number of balls into their penalty area as the game wore on.

Paul Cook’s side had chances to win it through substitute Cedric Kipre, Chey Dunkley and Windass but will no doubt will be pleased to return to Wigan with an away point.

Latics’ captain for the afternoon Danny Fox was stretchered off early on and a full update on his condition will be provided to supporters as soon as we have it.

Latics made two changes going into the game, with Dunkley replacing Kipre to start alongside captain Danny Fox in defence, whilst Everton loanee Beni Baningime came in for his debut in place of Lee Evans who missed out due to illness.

Nick Powell was set to be in the squad, but had to leave Rotherham to return home to be with his family for the birth of his second child. Jonas Olsson came into the squad on the bench for his first involvement since signing for the club earlier this month, whilst Gavin Massey makes his return from a hamstring injury to make the subs.

From the outset, Latics got what they expected as Will Vaulks launched the first of a series of throw-ins into their penalty area. From one of the first, former Latics youngster Jon Taylor fired over the second ball from the edge of the area.

Jamie Jones then spared his side’s blushes with a brave clearance after racing out to challenge Taylor when the winger was through on Latics’ goal.

Fox was replaced by Kipre after the former Nottingham Forest man landed awkwardly following a collision in the penalty area.

And soon after the Millers went ahead as Vaulks crossed for Robertson to head home.

However, within four minutes Latics were level as Windass found space in the area on the right and finished superbly for his third goal in three games.

Reece James then had a free-kick from 25 yards saved by Marek Rodak before the Millers had a strong opportunity to go in front as Richard Wood headed across goal for Michael Smith, who diverted over from six yards.

Smith was again denied on the stroke of half-time as his looping header was superbly pushed over the bar by Jones.

After the restart, Semi Ajayi headed wide for Rotherham from another Vaulks throw-in before Latics had a chance on the hour as Pilkington looked to meet Kal Naismith’s cross, only to be denied by a brave Joe Mattock challenge.

Leon Clarke saw a header saved by Rodak before Windass had a chance for a second when the loose ball fell to him following a Kipre cross, but he dragged wide.

At the other end, Naismith headed an Ajayi header off the line from another Vaulks long-throw whilst Latics had chances as the second-half wore on through Kipre and Dunkley but both headed off target.

Ultimately, though, Latics gained a valuable point and Cook’s side move on to Wednesday night’s visit of Stoke City to the DW Stadium.

Rotherham United: Rodak, Mattock, Vaulks, Ajayi, Wood (Capt), Forde, Taylor (Newell 68), Robertson, Crooks (Towell 78), Smith, Jones
Subs: Price, Vyner, Ihiekwe, Yates, Wiles

Latics: Jones, Byrne, Dunkley, Fox (Capt) (Kipre 25), Naismith, Baningime, James, Jacobs (Massey 90), Windass, Pilkington, Clarke
Subs: Walton, McManaman, Roberts, Olsson, Garner

Stoke City H

Advertisement block