Learn more about our new recruit, former Stockport County, Huddersfield Town, Norwich City and Cardiff City forward Anthony Pilkington.
- Getting to know... Anthony Pilkington.
- From Stockport County to Wigan Athletic and everywhere in between.
- 10 facts about our latest signing from Cardiff City.
1. After spells with Preston North End, Manchester United and Blackburn Rovers at youth levels, Anthony Pilkington joined Stockport County from Atherton Collieries and made his professional debut in December 2006 as an 18-year-old. He played alongside former Latics midfielder Tony Dinning at Edgeley Park.
2. Pilkington scored his first professional goal in just his second appearance, netting in a 2-0 win against Notts County on his home debut for Stockport on Boxing Day 2006. He went on to score five goals in 24 appearances that season.
3. Eight goals in 2007-2008 followed, including one in the League Two play-off final, with Stockport beating Rochdale 3-2. He followed this up with six goals in League One the next season, earning him a move to Huddersfield Town in January 2009.
4. Pilkington scored 25 times for Huddersfield in 107 outings and provided plenty more as Huddersfield pushed to try and gain promotion to the Championship, featuring in Terriers teams alongside familiar Latics names such as Mike Flynn and Kevin Kilbane, plus current Latics players Joe Garner and Gary Roberts, and goalkeeping coach Nick Colgan.
5. His 10 goals in League One in the 2010-2011 campaign earned Pilkington his big move to newly promoted Premier League side Norwich City, making his debut for the Canaries at the DW Stadium in their first game of the 2011-2012 season. He went on to score his first Premier League goal in a 2-1 win away at Bolton Wanderers a month later.
6. Pilkington scored eight goals in his debut Premier League season and five in the following campaign, including one against Latics in a 2-1 win for Norwich at Carrow Road in December 2012.
7. An international for Republic of Ireland at Under 21 and senior levels, Pilkington earned his first cap as a substitute for James McClean in September 2013. His first goal in nine caps came in a 4-1 victory against USA in November 2014, described as a 'delightful chip' over the goalkeeper.
8. Pilkington joined Cardiff City from Norwich in August 2014 and once again made a debut against Latics, with the Bluebirds winning 1-0 courtesy of a Nicky Maynard goal. Pilkington went on to score 20 goals in 75 league starts for Cardiff.
9. During his time at Cardiff, Pilkington has played with familiar Latics names; Adam Le Fondre, Nicky Maynard, Conor McAleny, Alex Revell, Emyr Huws, Omar Bogle and Yanic Wildschut.
10. Pilkington scored five goals in 13 appearances for Cardiff last season, three of which came in the Sky Bet Championship against Sunderland, Leeds United and Sheffield United.