Cancer Research UK are the only charity in the United Kingdom fighting all 200 types of cancer.
- Club are dedicating Saturday's game to Cancer Research UK.
- Fans are encouraged to come together to blow the whistle on cancer.
- You can make a donation to Cancer Research UK by clicking here.
Wigan Athletic are delighted to announce that Saturday’s fixture against QPR will be dedicated as our Cancer Research UK match day, supporting the only UK charity fighting all 200 types of cancer.
Monday 4th February 2019 is World Cancer Day, so as our closest home game to this date we are calling on supporters of both teams to come together and help us blow the whistle on cancer.
Most people will know someone with cancer – whether they’re a colleague, family or friend, and World Cancer Day is a global event that unites the world’s population in the fight against cancer.
Cancer will impact 1 in 2 people and around 330,000 individuals are diagnosed in the UK every year – but Cancer Research UK are leading the way to prevent more cancers, improve the outlook for future generations and help ensure that fans enjoy match days with loved ones for years to come.
Manager Paul Cook said: "All of us at Wigan Athletic know someone who has been affected by cancer, so we’re proud to be dedicating our game against QPR today to Cancer Research UK.
“It’s something which could affect any of us in our lifetime, it doesn’t discriminate or follow a particular team, so as a football community it’s vital that we come together to tackle it.
“The incredible work that the charity does has a direct impact on the treatments available to people right here in Wigan and the surrounding areas, so I really hope as many people as possible donate generously.”
We will proudly welcome Cancer Research UK volunteers to the DW Stadium on Saturday who will be collecting donations at various points around the stadium. We encourage Latics fans to give generously and help thousands of scientists, doctors and nurses to deliver life-saving work and accelerate progress.
Supporters are encouraged to donate generously to Cancer Research UK, with several ways to do so.
- Make a donation online now by clicking here.
- Fans can pick up a World Cancer Day wristband. The Unity Bands are now available to buy from the Club Shop with a suggested donation of £2.
- Make a £5 donation by text message. Simply text the word UNITY to 70200. Texts charged at £5 plus a standard rate text (age 16+, UK mobiles only). Cancer Research UK will receive 100% of this donation. Full Ts&Cs at www.cruk.org/text.
- Fans can make a cash donation on matchday. Simply pass your donation to one of the Cancer Research UK volunteers who will be at the stadium on the day.
Every Unity Band worn, every pound donated, and every gesture of support will play a vital role in beating cancer, supporting ground-breaking research which is taking place right here in the North West and across the UK.
Find out more about Cancer Research UK and #WorldCancerDay by visiting www.cancerresearchuk.org.
Together we will beat cancer.