Get to know our new recruit, David Marshall.
- 10 Facts | Scotland international goalkeeper David Marshall.
- Fact file on the former Celtic, Norwich City, Cardiff City and Hull City goalkeeper.
- Marshall joins Latics' goalkeeper group alongside Jamie Jones and Owen Evans.
1. Goalkeeper David Marshall was born 5 March 1985 and began his career through the ranks of Celtic's Academy, making his debut as a 17-year-old in a 3-0 victory against St. Johnstone in the Scottish Cup. Marshall was a substitute with eight minutes remaining when he replaced Javier Sanchez Broto.
2. Marshall's real breakthrough came in the 2003-04 campaign when he featured 18 times for Celtic, including in big games against Barcelona (two clean sheets) and arch rivals Rangers (one clean sheet and two victories). His record was excellent, conceding just two goals in his first seven appearances for the Scottish giants.
3. The stopper won the Scottish Premier League in 2003-04, the Scottish Cup in 2004 and 2005 and the Scottish League Cup in 2006 before moving to Norwich City on loan.
4. Marshall made his loan move to Carrow Road permanent ahead of the 2007-08 season, in which he played 51 times as the Canaries' number one. Another big season followed, with Marshall racking up 22 clean sheets in his time at Norwich before moving to Cardiff City in 2009.
5. His Cardiff debut came in a 4-0 victory against Scunthorpe United in the Championship on the opening day of the 2009-10 season, in which the Bluebirds went on to finish runners-up in the play-offs.
6. Marshall played a total of 281 times for Cardiff between 2009-2016 and kept 87 clean sheets in the process. The keeper won the Championship title in 2012-13 and picked up the club's Player of the Year award the following season in the Premier League.
7. In August 2016, Marshall joined Hull City to make his Premier League return. He played 67 times for the Tigers, including as number one in 2018-19, keeping 11 clean sheets.
8. The 34-year-old has been capped 28 times for Scotland. He made his international debut in August 2004 against Hungary, with his latest two caps coming as recently as June 2019 in Scotland's UEFA European Championship qualifiers against Cyprus and Belgium.
9. Marshall has kept a total of 131 clean sheets so far in his club career and seven clean sheets internationally.
10. The stopper has featured alongside a host of familiar Latics names, including;
- Celtic - Stephen Crainey, Shaun Maloney, Henri Camara, Stephane Henchoz and Gary Caldwell.
- Norwich City - Peter Thorne, Matt Gilks, Antoine Sibierski.
- Cardiff City - Kevin McNaughton, Jason Koumas, Don Cowie, Andrew Taylor, Haris Vuckic, Leon Barnett, Kim Bo-Kyung, Nicky Maynard, Adam Le Fondre, Conor McAleny, Anthony Pilkington and Alex Revell.
- Hull City - Will Keane, Harry Maguire, Shaun Maloney, James Weir, Nouha Dicko, Reece Burke and Liam Ridgewell.
- Scotland - Andy Webster, Gary Caldwell, Steven Caldwell, Shaun Maloney, Danny Fox, James McArthur, Matt Gilks.